Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My experience with KMS

Through my years as a technologist I’ve come across many different knowledge management systems. Most of them however were simple repositories / knowledge bases. (See Microsoft Support, Host monster help, Apple)

According to the definitions discussed in class these would be considered a “repository” KMS system. What I’ve found in using them is that I really would prefer them to be network modeled KMS’. Basically it seems like the only way to really have a strong KMS is through commonly understood codification and tagging practices. What’s frustrating about the tagging processes of multiple KB’s is that they don’t publish their practices and processes to the general public. If I knew more how they codify and tag their articles I’d be able to perform smarter searches to help me find the information I need.

No comments: